There are new guidelines for Kindergarten Entrance for school year 2017-2018. Your child must be 5 years old by AUGUST 1, 2017 to be eligible for kindergarten entrance. If your child’s birthday is between August 1st and October 1st 2017, the Board of Education has developed an early entrance policy allowing your child to enter school earlier than permitted under statuary age requirements. The policy states that the child must be 5 by October 1, 2017 and demonstrate academic achievement, social, emotional, and physical maturity appropriate for kindergarten placement. You must apply for your child to be considered for early placement in kindergarten, before June 1, 2017. The application can be obtained at the Board of Education office.
You must complete the following procedures for your child to be considered for early entrance.
- Application for Early Entrance for Kindergarten.
- Application must be submitted to the central office no later than June 1st. Assessment will take place within 45 days of receiving application at the central office.
- Proof of age – must be turning 5 between August 1 and October 1.
- Proof of Residency – student must reside in the Clay County School District.
- Scores at or above the 80 percentile in all domains of the Brigance II Screener.
- If you have any questions please contact Judy Smith at the Clay Co. Board of Education (606) 598-2168.